April 2007
Home VILKAS THE NAME VILKAS THE BOAT Crew The Future Log Book Pictures Links The Galley Guestbook

Return to 2007 Logs

Update: April 2007


After a couple of delays the trip is beginning.  On April 4 Ugne and I rented a car and drove to Marathon.  The following morning at 0800 we backed Partners in Paradise out of its slip and headed North in the Hawk Channel to the Channel 5 Bridge where we would pick-up the ICW through the Florida Keys.  It was a beautiful day with light winds. During the trip we had several pods of Dolphin come along side and ride the bow wave.  We stopped at Gilberts Marina on Key Largo for the night.   

The next day we were away early for the trip to Miami. We made good time and decided not to stop in Miami and made our way to the Hollywood City marina for the night.    

Saturday was a long day, as we had to navigate through 23 bridges to get to the Old Port Cove Marina in North Palm Beach along with bridges we had to content with the weekend boaters.  By the time we reached the marina we were all dead tired.   

Homes Along the ICW (Lots of them just like this one)

Sunday was a lot better day and being Easter there were fewer boats on the water so we made good time and arrived at Harbortown Marina at 1400.  All in all it was a good 4-day trip and we were happy to be back aboard Vilkas. 

The start of the trip north from Harbortown was delayed 10 days as Richard & Judy had to go to Orlando on family business.  Once back we made the final plans for leaving Harbortown.


April 18, 2007 - The day finally came.  After almost 2 years of being at the dock or on the hard we were on the move.  We left our slip at 0800 with a stop at the fuel dock. On the way to the fuel dock I noticed that our depth meter was not working, not good for traveling the ICW.  I attempted to solve the problem without any luck.  I was not interested in going back to the slip and delaying the start of our trip so we headed out as planned.  It was a little nerve racking without the depth meter but we had a good day and made to our planned anchorage at the Eau Gallie Bridge north of Melbourne, Fl.  After anchoring I went about attempting to solve the depth meter problem.  Finally determined that the transducer was bad.  I just happen to have a spare on-board but it would several hours to replace so we decided to wait until we got to the marina at Titusville the next day.


April 19, 2007 – We hauled anchor at 0845 and headed north toward Titusville.  The winds built but to about 20 mph right on the nose making for a slow day on the ICW. Except for the depth meter flashing 0 all day the trip was uneventful.  Once we were in our slip for the evening I went about installing the new depth transducer.  The process took about 3 hours but once done it was relaxing to see the meter read 3.5 ft under the keel.


April 20, 2007 – We planned an early start  so that we would be out of the area called the Haulover before the winds built up.  The channel through the Haulover is narrow with very shallow water outside the channel.  High winds make for a very interesting adventure that we did not want to experience.  Once through the Crossover and in the Halifax river the winds again built to around 20 mph with higher gusts right on the nose.  The trip was uneventful until we were going through the Ponce inlet area. On approaching G3 I was to close to the green side of the channel and went aground.  It was a soft grounding and I worked us off in about 5 min.  Then we were onto the Halifax marina in Daytona Beach for the night. Once in and having checked the weather we decided to stay 2 nights because of more heavy winds.


April 22, 2007 – We had a good 2 night stay in Daytona but were ready to get underway again.  The day on the ICW was smooth with a strong sea breeze picking up in the afternoon just before we arrived at St. Augustine.  We pulled up to the face dock at Fish Island Marina.  We had an interesting adventure with the winds and a strong outgoing current but we finally got tied up for the evening.  Not much of a marina and would not recommend it to our friends.


April 23, 2007 – We were away from the dock at 0800 so that we could make the 0830 opening of the Bridge of the Lions.  The bridge has a long history and is currently under going a complete restoration. While the restoration is going on they have built a parallel bridge that only opens on the half hour.  The day went smoothly so we passed a planned anchorage and pressed onto Fernandina Beach where we took a mooring in their new mooring field for $15 a night.  We had not stopped here in the past so took the mooring for 3 nights so that we could visit the city.

  Temporary Bridge of Lions

April 24 – 27, 2007 - Our son Willie drove down from Charleston to spend the week with us with plans to help us sail Vilkas on the outside to Charleston.  Fernandina Beach is nice little town and we enjoyed visiting the many shops and restaurants.  Our friends on Partners in Paradise headed out on Thursday for the trip up the ICW through Georgia and southern South Carolina.  We will meet up with them again in Charleston.    

We have been have some strong southerly winds the last couple of weeks that have the seas north near Charleston churned up, so we decided to stay on the mooring until Saturday. 


April 28, 2007 – A very pretty morning with light southerly winds so we left the mooring at 0800, hoisted sail and headed out the St. Mary’s inlet for the trip to Charleston.  The winds were on the light side most of the day but picked up in the early morning hours to the 15 – 20 range and then settled back down as we approached Charleston. 


April 29, 2007 – We arrived at the Charleston City Marina at 1130 Sunday morning and were assigned a slip out at the end of the Mega dock.  We had a good sail but were ready for a little R & R in Charleston so we plan on staying put for 3 or 4 days.  Richard and Judy should arrive on Monday.  

Before leaving Fernandina Beach and while were off-shore I took some sunset pictures.  The colors are enhanced by the smoke from the wild fires in southern Georgia. We could smell the smoke 20 miles off-shore.

 Return to 2007 Logs