June 2007
Home VILKAS THE NAME VILKAS THE BOAT Crew The Future Log Book Pictures Links The Galley Guestbook

Return to 2007 Logs


Update: June 2007


May 31 – June 4, 2007 – We spent 5 days in Portsmouth with several side trips via the ferryboat to Norfolk.  As in the past we really enjoyed the Portsmouth area.  We also rode out the remains of Berry the second tropical storm of the season.


June 5, 2007 – We left the dock at 1000 for a short 2-hour trip to Hampton, Va.  Forecast winds West 10 – 15 mph – WRONG AGAIN .  Winds were West 18 – 20 with gusts to 28 with the waves on our beam and we still had some protection form the western shore.  We went as far as the end of Carney Island and turned around and went back to Tidewater for another night.  Later that night we had a strong thunderstorm roll through with winds gusting to 50 mph.  Happy to be at the dock.


June 6, 2007 – Better forecast for today with north winds around 10 mph.  Had a good trip to Hampton however when we arrived we were delay getting into our slip as the Corp of Engineers were removing some temporary docks that had been setup for last weekends Black Beards Festival.


June 6 – 11, 2007 – The reason for our stop in Hampton was to we could get front row seats for the Tall Ship review that was taking place on Friday for the 400th year Jamestown celebration.  We had reservations on the Miss Hampton for front row seats as the tall ships past in review in front of the carrier USS Wasp.  The parade was great with about 30 tall ships as well as 100 other boats in the parade.  An added bonus was the sighting of three nuclear submarines.  Two were leaving Norfolk and one was returning from sea.   Jamestown Tall Ships


Our stay was extended in Hampton so we could get a new starter solenoid for Partners-n-Paradise’s starboard engine that decided to give-up-the-ghost.  Hampton is a nice little town.  The Air & Space Museum is great.

                        Hampton Carousel From the 20's 


June 12, 2007 – Finally we have reach the Chesapeake Bay and today we headed north to Deltaville, VA.  We arrived at 1400 and dropped anchor just off the Deltaville Marina.  We plan on being here a couple of days because of forecasted strong north winds with small craft warnings on the bay.  


                       Deltaville Anchorage

June 16, 2007 – Departed Deltaville 0845 for a short trip to Mill Creek off of the Great Wicomico River on the Northern Neck section of Virginia.  We have always enjoyed this anchorage.  It is quiet with light boat traffic and well-protected in bad weather comes in.  We would love to stay a couple of days but we are going to move on in the morning.


                    Sunset  Mill Creek

June 17, 2007 – On the move at 0700 to cross the Potomac River and head to Solomon’s Island Maryland.  We arrived at 1500 and dropped the anchor at the head of Bear Creek. Our original plan was to stay a couple of days but we want to get up to Annapolis so we will head out in the morning.


June 18 - 20, 2007 – 0630 the anchor is up and we are on our way up the bay.  Winds out of the W-SW, we actually had our sail up for a couple of hours until the winds died away.  We arrived in Annapolis at 1400 taking one of the city mooring balls off of the naval Academy.  This is always one of our favorite stops so we paid for 3 nights.  Wednesday is race day in Annapolis with the races getting started around 6 pm and ending right in front of the mooring field about 90 min later.  As it was the last time we were here the races sail right through the mooring field as they head to the finish line.  We took some great pictures as they sailed with in feet us. 


                    Annapolis Anchorage

While on the mooring in Annapolis we started having battery problems and I had to run the engine more to keep the batteries charged so we decided to head to Baltimore on Thursday.


June 21, 2007 – Finally we have reached the destination point for Partners-n-Paradise having left Annapolis at 0840 and arriving at Anchorage marina at 1305.  It has been a long 2 months getting here. It is our plan to stay here one month to visit family; Ugne’s parents live here.  Also our granddaughter is flying in and we have agreed to drive her to horse camp in New York. 

 Return to 2007 Logs